North Ottawa Community Health System has over 300 volunteers that brighten our hallways with their smiles, provide compassionate companionship with our patients at North Ottawa Care Center and Hospice. Volunteers are one of our most valuable assets. If you would like to volunteer please take the time to fill out an application by one of two ways,
Sign up on-line to volunteer or
download an application here and mail it to the address below.
Junior Volunteers [ages 14-18] also mail in the Jr. Volunteer Insert
1309 Sheldon Road
Grand Haven, MI 49417
Call (616) 847-5215 or (616) 847-5612 with any questions
Volunteers serve North Ottawa Community Hospital, Hospice of North Ottawa Community and North Ottawa Care Center at Heartwood Lodge.
North Ottawa Community Hospital
North Ottawa Community Hospital Volunteers are the men and women in royal blue and junior volunteers in stripes, who help patients and staff in many ways. With over 300 volunteers contributing over 27,000 hours annually, NOCH volunteers make a difference!
Hospital Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Messenger Service
- Family Birthing Unit Host
- Valet Parking
- Information Desk
- Mail/Flower delivery to patients’ rooms
- General Office Work
- Surgery Liason
- Operation of the Gift Shop
- Junior Volunteers (ages 14-18)
- Patient Care Areas
- Emergency Department Host
- Night & Weekend positions also available
Hospice of North Ottawa Community at Heartwood Lodge
Volunteers provide compassionate care to patients and their loved ones coping with life-limiting illnesses. Hospice of North Ottawa Community strives to give its volunteers the best training possible to enable them to be an integral part of the Hospice team. Volunteer training is provided based on the level of service, volunteer interests and talents, and organization needs. Background checks are performed on all new volunteers prior to the beginning a volunteer assignment.
Hospice Volunteer Opportunities:
- Provide respite for families in their homes, hospice house and nursing facilities
- Companionship visits, playing cards, life review, writing letters, and talking
- Errand/delivery person
- Massage Therapy, provided by cerfied massage therapists
- Licensed Beauticians providing haircuts to home-bound patients.
- Handy person for minor home/office repairs, yard maintenance, ramp building, etc.
- Handcrafters, sewing, knitting, crocheting, quilting
- Special events
- Food preparation and delivery of meals
- Community awareness, fundraising, activities and more
- Transportation Volunteers to transport patients to doctors' offices, labs and other destinations
- Specialty Volunteers: Many needed volunteer activities don't fit neatly into a category. An attorney may volunteer to draw up a will or a bilingual volunteer may visit Spanish-speaking patients. Cooks can deliver prepared or frozen meals, make cookies or soup for the Hospice House, while scrap-bookers might make life review a delightful project for a patient or bereaved. The sky-and our imaginations- are our only limits in improving the lives of those we serve!
North Ottawa Care Center at Heartwood Lodge
We are a patient centered facility where up-to date professional care combines with warmth and patience to provide residents with personalized compassionate care in a home-like setting.
North Ottawa Care Center Volunteer Opportunities:
- Visiting with patients
- Assist with resident activities: cards, games, sing-alongs, coffee groups, socialization
- Flower garden care
- Book Cart
- Special events and more!